This is Jane writing to the Lois Peterson prompt, "List 20 things you know a lot about."
I am four time zones and god only knows how many miles away from my list [the one she did at The Grind Writers], so I am going to make another one. Probably very similar.
What fun it was to think that through. It is so easy to NOT make an inventory of what I know a lot about...
- Travelling - but still a lot more to learn...
- The people I love.
- How to fake it in Spanish (talking language:)
- Building design and construction and the practical logic of buildings. But I watched a documentary about Frank Gehry twice on the plane and realised there is so much I do not know.
- Contemporary literature. Have forgotten most of what I knew about early lit (except Shakespeare). See 6.
- Contemporary art. Making and enjoying. See 5.
- Helping people find their arty parts.
- Unitarian ways.
- Family history.
- The Cuban example.
- Teaching English as another language.
- Efficient cooking.
- Haida Gwaii. (These are not in any particular order of dearness to my heart)
- The sacred headwaters and other sacred places and why they must be saved.
- Friendship. (Marriage remains a mystery to me. Why and How)
- The salmon fishing and canning industry.
- Academic action.
- The joys of belonging in groups. Dancing, book clubs, round the fire, church, singing, making things together, working together, and I am glad I found the Grind too.
(Ed. note: So are we!)