Tuesday 15 October 2013

THE PURPOSE OF PLACES – by Gill Minato



Gill took the Grind Café Writers’ Group “Free-write Challenge” at this year’s Summer Dreams Literary Arts Festival at Trout Lake, Vancouver. The brave drew random prompts then took a break from the fest to go sit under a tree, and let it rip for 10 minutes without stopping in a free-write—and see what emerged. Braver yet, they agreed to let us post their raw version. So remember, this is unedited, unfinished output. Thanks to all participants.
_________________________________
Prompt:  A classic exercise. Begin with the line, “I remember….” (or ‘I don’t remember….”) and write for 10 minutes.  (Prompt from http://www.6ftferrets.com/exercise-content.html)

I remember being in places that I did not know. Places I went on purpose, but had no clue why. These places grew less and less as I grew older. 
It seemed to me that places started having purposes and were no longer just places. You go to the grocery store to get groceries. You go to the woods to see nature. There are no longer places that do not have purposes. 
There are places you may not want to be or you come across by accident, that you may think have no purpose for you, but they will have one somewhere in your head.

©2013 Gill Minato

No comments: