Tuesday 15 October 2013

YOUR ARGUMENT – by Anonymous 2

Anonymous 2 took the Grind Café Writers’ Group “Free-write Challenge” at this year’s Summer Dreams Literary Arts Festival at Trout Lake, Vancouver. The brave drew random prompts then took a break from the fest to go sit under a tree, and let it rip for 10 minutes without stopping in a free-write—and see what emerged. Braver yet, they agreed to let us post their raw version. So remember, this is unedited, unfinished output. Thanks to all participants.
________________________
Prompt:  Remember an argument you had with another person. Write about the argument from the point of view of the other person. Remember that the idea is to see the argument from their perspective, not your own. This is an exercise in voice, not in proving yourself right or wrong. 
(Prompt from: http://www.poewar.com/archives/2004/20/21/fifteen-craft-exercises-for-writers/)
I could tell you were angry. It’s one thing to express a boundary, but your body language and tone can impact the people around you much more than you might think. I was very kind to you. I think you punish people for things that aren’t their fault. I like things better when you still trusted and respected me. I don’t know how to get back to that with you, because you haven’t made it clear how I lost it with you. I think it was something to do with the way I treat women. I think you’re just jealous of me If you can’t respect me then I can’t respect you.
Now that we are enemies, I will fight against you because I am a crusader against the forces of evil in this world. I miss you, dear brother. I miss how you used to look up to me. I know you are hurting inside. If only you’d let someone help you. That is sadly beyond my powers.

©2013 Anonymous 2

No comments: